Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gavin is one week old.

Well after taking a long break from blogging I have decided that I need to update. Last Thursday afternoon we had our third son Gavin Lee Grimwood. It has taken me a little while to get use to hearing his name, but now I think it is pretty cool.
I was induced at around 8:00 in the morning and by 11:30 I was in so much pain. My labor was going really fast. I asked the nurse at like 11:40 what time I could have an epidural. She told me that when I was in labor they would give me one. So, at 11:45 I asked her what time Dr. Scott was going to check me. She told me at noon. Well, 11:45 was close enough for me and asked her to check me. So, she checked me and I was dilated to 5. She asked me if I wanted something for the pain. I told her I did! So she went and called the epidural guy to get it all set up. Well, while she was gone the pain just kept getting stronger and closer together. I am so thankful that Linda was there with me. I know that I could not have done it without her. Then like 20 minutes later (i think is sure seemed longer) the nurse came back and told me that the doctor would be there in like 15 minutes to give me an epidural, but she thought she should check me again. So, when checked me I was had dilated to a 9, but my water had not broken. She told me that she was going to call Dr. Scott to see if she should break my water. Meanwhile, she gave me some pain meds. while we waited for the epidural. She was an awesome nurse! So, finally the anesthesiologist had arrived and was getting ready to give me the wonderful epidural. This gave my wonderful doctor time to get to my room. It took a while for the epidural to work because I was in so much pain and the contractions were coming so fast. But finally they were able to catch up to my pain. Even though the epidural slowed down the labor process it was worth it.
Dr. Scott asked me if I wanted Linda to cut the cord and I did. So, after like pushing for maybe a half hour Gavin poked his head out. Unfortunately the cord was wrapped around his little head so tight that Dr. Scott had to cut the cord himself. I was sad, but the most important thing is that Gavin was safe. After Dr. Scott cut the cord Gavin fell right out onto the table.
He is so cute. I am glad to have been induced, I was hoping that maybe we would be able to have the whole natural thing. But, the most important thing was that he was born safe and healthy.
Gavin is a good baby. His brothers love him so much. Matthew is getting use to the idea of having to share mom's time with another person.
I just want to thank everyone that has helped us. Especially all the grandparents. We could not have done this without you. I know I could not have.

1 comment:

Heidi and Paul said...

He is so cute!!! Congrats!!